I recently switched back to using VMWare Workstation (17.0.2) with Vagrant (2.3.7) this time with openSUSE Tumbleweed instead of Fedora, and found that every time I restarted, the Vagrant VMware Utility (1.0.22) would “fail to communicate”.
To fix this, I ended up created the following shell script to ensure the service was loaded correctly:
#! /usr/bin/bash sudo systemctl enable /etc/systemd/system/vagrant-vmware-utility.service sudo systemctl restart vagrant-vmware-utility.service
Save this as a your_filename_here.sh, ensure it is executable, and run it:
$ chmod +x your_filename_here.sh $ ./your_filename_here.sh
I recently updated to VMWare Workstation 17.5.0 and Vagrant 2.4.0 and realized my initial script was incorrect. I’m now using the following:
#! /usr/bin/bash sudo systemctl enable /opt/vagrant-vmware-desktop/bin/vagrant-vmware-utility.service sudo systemctl restart vagrant-vmware-utility.service